Thursday, January 14, 2010

13th Jan: doo wop party

Today we had a modern art extravaganza!



After first visiting Union Square in the morning, and seeing a pant-ed protest in the day light hours, we caught the subway down to the Museum of Modern Art. We met up with mum's friend Michael who was quite good at pimping the 'I'm an Australian' and 'a dingo ate my baby' lines. He managed to get himself a discount into the museum. Sophie posed as an angsty teen, and we manged to get in rather cheaply. We spent so much of our day there, appreciating the modern art.

First we loved the Monet Water Lilies, then worked backwards in time from the 1970's back to the 1880's. I adroed the Andy Warhol's, enjoyed the craze of Jackson Pollock and took in the Jasper Johns'. Then admired classic Van Gogh's, Picasso's, Dali's and Matisse's. My heart exploded with delight when I laid my eyes upon an Edward Munch, screaming many! OHHHHH. I adore you Mr Munch. I wish there had been more than the one work of art, but it was fantastic to see one in the flesh. I normally mock people that stand beside works of art, but here I could not resist to stand by. One weird girl went up to Starry Night, scrunhced her face and demanded photos of her ugly scruncy glory. Why did she feel the need to look so unhappy and ugly near a master piece. And waste my time, by having her in the way of my admiring it. When she was done, she tried to look at me, and laugh about what she was doing, I looked back blankly. Some jerk, also told us to MOVE from reading about a painting so that he could simply photograph it and move on to photograph more. Bastard! The museum was a delight, we did have to stop for lunch in the middle. One of the more wholesome meals I have had in a while - rustic chickpea soup. We finished our art experience at about 5, and moved on to Starbucks. Amusements on the way home included limo stopping for hotdogs, and the true church of Times Square:

We went home via the pharmacy to buy some beer, and drank it sneakily in our room before some tea.

1 comment:

  1. you and your beer!
    hahahah times square church has been taken over by maccas.
    i am SO jealous you got to go to MoMA!!
    lucky girl :)

    ReplyDelete