Sunday, August 9, 2009

August 8th : OHHH Canada

I am sitting on Canadian soil as I write this. But my trip was quite tiring. It started with 14 hours worth of flight to San Francisco. I sat next to a lady who indulged in half of my seat as well has hers. She was so large the fold down tray would not fold down on her belly! So come mealtime she would freakily stare at me while I ate my meal and then pretend to be asleep when airhostess tried to serve her a meal. I think she was on a fast; a habit I’ve heard sumo wrestlers take up when on planes too, as they are too fat to fit in toilet! Any way I should of received a discount or something, as I did not use my entire seat to its full potential. The lack of gin and tonics and good movies disappointed. There were few TVs to share and the ‘sharing’ rated movies included a live action dragonball z movie and prime time tv show two and a half men. The flight onto Montreal was also a gip, as we had to pay for our own food, like stingy virgin airlines! Nobody warned us about this, otherwise we would have scoffed ourselves before getting on board. But the good thing about the Montreal flight was the lack of clouds, or our low altitude, or both, which allowed the landscape to be admired. There was a fine meandering river and which had an oxbow lake in the making! When we were landing, the Vieux Port was letting off fireworks, and the side mum and I were sitting on had a great view! It was amazing! Customs was a surprising breeze and I was in the country in no time and wrongly wishing people the wrong time of day. So that’s how people knew I was a tourist I suppose, that and my accent (which apparently is hard to understand, all my flight attendants found me hard to comprehend!)

So a taxi ride through the warm, crowded streets of MontrĂ©al lead us to our hostel. We have a nice little room, without fabled sink. But that should be ok. We had a quick snack at legendary Tim Horton’s, which did not exceed expectations.

Any way I go to sleep now in the hope that the people in the room next to us will party elsewhere and the poor breakfast advertised by the hostel lives up to my expectations, of weak coffee but plentiful ‘peanut butter and jelly’ glory.

2 comments:

  1. Hahah! Kate! I love the sumo on the plane, and the lack of food, it reminds me of my own travels! (f* you easy jet with your 3 pound tea!) haha, I also love that your accent was difficult to understand, you should milk your aussie babe accent for all it is worth ;)

    ReplyDelete