Thursday, September 3, 2009

School daze

Today was a much better day at school! I had my first encounter with the faculty of arts. I must admit you do seem like rather lovable people. Tim Horton's must make a fortune out of them, every second cup (this is a hilarious play on words - as the Canadian Starbucks is called second cup) was a Tim Ho's. Oh, the glory, I figure next lecture I will get one to fit in, and assert my self as a hip arts student. Canadian history seems so interesting! I am quite excited! But instead of tutorials we have a thing called conferences. Now these do sound a little horrifying, as one lecture every week or so, is one where we just discuss things. Not in any form of small, equally minded and accepting group! In front of about 100 people! Nice, thank you faculty of arts for your caring and supportive nature! I suppose I shall will just have to go nuts and contribute a lot, as these are worth 10% of my grade. But how will the lecturer know, you know! At the end of the semester to I write down all my witty and intelligent comments, and hope that she remembers me saying them aloud to a lecture theater?

After this I complete the down hill McGill power walk to Chemistry. But this was not a true test of my ability, as we were let out of history early, so I was not in a panic or anything - which would increases my speed dramatically. Anyway, into chemistry! Oh, I LOVE CHEMISTS! We talk, and are social and are lovely people!!!! Apart from one guy, who though I was someone else Phoebe, and kept on talking to me about childhood memories! AND I kept on telling him I wasn't Phoebe! He would be like, "do you notice anything different" and I would tell him "NO, because I have never met you before in my life", but he would go on to tell me that he had got his braces off, that is what is different about him now compared to high school times! OK, good for you buddy. He then kindly offered that I could sit next to him if I wished. I was quick to decline the offer, and find actual nice Chemists, who have normal chats, and accept me for who I am! The chemistry lecture was so funny, he honks like a goose after every sentence! And wore a knitted sweater with a picture of a deer on it! I am afraid for how this honking is going to get on my nerves! I was a bit sick of it after an hour, lets see how three months go!
Then I had a bee free lunch with one of the girls from the ANU, Ally. And strutted off to Geography with a new found confidence in people in lectures. This was a really good one too! It was packed full of people and as it was full and not awkward - we could talk and chat. I just hope I find the same people again in lectures. It may be a little hard as they are so big. My mission in this class is to make a friend to be able to go on the field trip with. We have to do a self guided tour of the botanical gardens! I don't want to guide myself, it is the anti-field trip in a sense. There is no bonding or comradely at all!
I was done for the day, and I walked home to work out my team meetings for tonight. I was going to try out for the rowing team. BUT, they announced that I would have training 6 mornings a week, with Sundays off. I would have to catch the metro at 5:00am in the morning, and attendance is mandatory. So, as tempting as rowing was, I figured I could not hack the fact that I would not be able to go away on weekends. I could do the mornings I guess (until it got really cold) but I want to explore! So that was a little bit disappointing. Also I had to be a liar to join the team. As I have rowed before I would of had to try out for the varsity team, which had an even more intense schedules than the novices, which I was pretending to be.
I met a group of exchange students for ... beer after the meeting. There is a beer and BBQ set up by the local supermarket all this week, and there is a live band that plays, and fairy lights are strung between the trees. It is really nice. I am going to take a photo to put up. So we hung out there, while waiting for the BEST club on campus. The McGill Outdoors Club! Oh my god! This was the greatest club ever invented. They plan lots of outdoors trips, some for beginners and some for the not so beginners. In two weekends time I will be white water kayaking with fellow beginners! I am sooooo excited! We even get to camp overnight! AAAAAA! It's only like $100 bucks too! For all the kayaking and camping I can physically handle! I am so happy. Then after the meeting the club was going for...beer. Well, how could I refuse! Annabel and I, and some other non-Australian exchange students bravely followed the leaders of the Outdoors club down to a nice bar 5 mins from campus. Annabel and I made friends with two of the leader type people! And they were Canadians! Which was an awesome bonus, AND they took us to a good place to get poutine! And it was decent which was the ultimate bonus. Not like last time mum and I dared to eat it! OH, the glory!

5 comments:

  1. your school days sound so much funner than mine! :P even though they are filled with the similar things your writing is better:P
    also outdoors club = the shiz

    ReplyDelete
  2. rival blog up and running :P
    its www.hotmessimlovingit.blogspot.com :D follow me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahhahaha kate i havent read the whole thing yet bt i feel i have to comment already! that boy is nuts! are you sure its not some sort of canadian pick-up thing? that it wasnt all one huge joke?
    christ, thats so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay poutine has pulled through in the end! fingers crossed haggis does the same ey ;)
    woo im sitting in the youth hostel eating my breakfast of aldi-bought (or equivalent to aldi-lidlo) raspberrys and yoghurt - £2! whilst everyone jealously glares at me cos they paid £5 for their rubbish!
    im channelling the kate! making friends and doing fine! (plus cos theyre all travelling too we have to have computer hang sessions haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahah! I love the story of Phoebe! omg everything just sounds so amazing I'm stumped for words! I'm just gonna check out your pics and squeal some more! :D

    ReplyDelete