Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tuesday and Wednesday

Tuesday 8th

Today was an easy day, I had some geology in the morning, and some more geology in the afternoon. The man talked for hours and hours. AND it wasn't even a bonding prac, it was a listen to the prof. prac. BUT at three pm, as promised, we were all allowed to leave the classroom to get the coffee and cookies. Oh, the glory that is standing in line for coffee from the machine (that takes a while when there are a lot of people), and the other glory that is imitation Timbits! I had two again; I didn't want to go nuts on rival Timbits. Everyone, no matter what brand they, always calls doughnut holes Timbits, so Mr, Horton has done well for himself in the market.

That night was wine and cheese night at my rez. This was to meet and greet the other residents. But sadly the residents that I don't know - don't want to be met. The party was optional - it should have been compulsory dammit! And there should have been some rule that you would have to pay more rent if you don't go to it. Also, sadly there is still no Arty. BOO Arty! But French Zac was there and he just smiled at people in his un-English comprehending manner. I'm thinking of more roommates I have not listed and profiled yet. There is Mo, an Egyptian who is rather secretive and smokes a pipe, and the people the live either side of his room always hear him clinking his pipe empty of its filth. They make a distinctive sound I've heard, and this guy is like clockwork, and clinks his pipe every ten minutes or so. There is also Jordan from Toronto, he is super tall and spends his time at the gym or drinking protein shakes / eating protein pills. Terry, now I know I have spelt this wrong, as he is Swiss, (French-Swiss), and he wore a Charles Darwin 200th birthday t-shirt to this event, so you can tell he is nice and non-threatening. Emily; emo Emily, who despite the black hair, tights, top, shorts, jacket, gloves and any other accessory you can think of is surprisingly funny, nice and talkative. I think that is all of them.
Here are some collective photos of these people.
Lucy, Me, Annabel (at our Sunday night house party):

Wednesday 9th

Today I had some history in the morning, followed by a record-breaking power walk down to chemistry. I made it down in a flat 5 minutes. The honking of the chemistry prof. is starting to get on my nerves. I just want to give him some strepsils or soothers or something to clear that honking throat. I met up with Adam after the lecture, and as we were walking I bumped into a group of loveable Australian exchange students. They were proud to have one Dutch girl with them. Oh, but I check-mated them with my Montreal prize! Ha ha! I win Australians, and the ratio was far greater, I mean 4:1 foreigner, compared to the 1:1. The group of us sat around in the Shatner building for some morning tea. I gloated as we ate. Then I had some environmental systems, which seems all too familiar to the blue planet. Where the prof. spent the whole lecture talking about open and closed systems! But, I’m not complaining. Then the course will morph into SRES1004 and we talk about soils and soil profiles, I bet there is even an old man Fields to deliver the lecture! Ha ha.
Then I met up with Hannah (Irish), Jeny (New Zealandish), Jerome (French) and Asian from house party with bandages on his hand, that refuses to tell anyone where he is from (but he has a Brittish accent, but this could be fake), for a coffee. I wonder who split the beans (witty) to the Asian, but someone in the group must like him... We met for coffee at the alleged best coffee in Montreal! It was pretty good, I'll give it that. Then we went and checked out the poster sale at McGill, this brought back memories of the ANU poster sales! I had some mixed feelings as to weather I should buy some posters or not, and decided against it, in the spirit of frugality! I mean I could buy some fajitas for the price of a poster. Also, they would be annoying to take home, and being frugal, I would take them home. I then trekked up to the McGill gym to become a memeber of their wonderful facilities! Only $20 for a semester! I am stoked!

Later on was the McGill ourdoors club meeting. It was here that I paid for the kayaking trip! There was much excitement and joy for some, and panic and worry for others. There were only twenty spots, and more than 20 people keen for a kayak. The word had spread like wildfire about the kayaking trip, and quite a few stragglers came along to the outdoors club meeting in the hope of nabbing a spot. Annabel and I had brought out moneys to pay for this glorious trip. Other people were taken by surprise that payment was required today, and this is where the desperate stuck it lucky. They had brought their money, and could usurp positions on the kayaking team! Oh the horror for some, as spots in a boat were taken right in front of their penniless eyes. After this, we went back home to wait around for ages, for Will. Tonight was Mexican fajita night! The fajitas are only $6. But then the cunning trick is that you buy a novelty drink at the same price as the food. I got an amazingly oversized margarita! We didn’t get out to dinner until about 9:30. By this time some of the patrons in the restaurant were a bit drunk, and I almost saw an amazing train wreck. Let me set the scene; there is a drunk guy on a table near us, to impress his friends he decides to conga backwards around the restaurant. He almost congas into a family, then almost congas into a waiter with a drink, THEN almost congas into a waiter with a good 7 fajitas on a huge tray. He thought the screams from his table were of encouragement, not of the need to stop conga-ing! It would have been priceless to see the fajitas spray everywhere, as the waiter was just paralyzed in fear, not trying to move away from the conga-maniac. A good night had by all, except poor Phillip, who didn’t wait for Will and had fajitas by himself and got home just as we were all heading out. Sadly he was not up for two rounds of fajitas!

2 comments:

  1. yay :D oh kate how you make me laugh
    i love the sound of secretive mo.
    i'm going to update my blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah kate! you beat those other other aussies!! 1:1 is the best ratio by far! hehehe "i gloated as we ate"

    i ended up buying posters, but go to an op shop and see if they have any old national geographics (i got two for £1) and there you have it! wall decorations!

    thats a great story about the drunk guy doing the conga!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete